Wednesday 29 January 2014

Thailand Travels: Day 2, Bangkok Nightlife

There's only so much poolside lounging you can do before you begin to get itchy feet, so this evening I decided it was time to go explore Bangkok by night.

If I'm honest, initially the thought of the Khaosan Road on my own at night was a bit intimadating! However, after getting it over and done with, I realised it wasn't such a big deal. In fact I relished in making all the decisions of where to go and when to turn back, without compromising for someone else.

I'm staying just on the corner of the Khaosan Road which is perfect because it's quiet enough to get to sleep at night, but I'm still just a few steps away from the excitement.

My first task was to find food. I hadn't bothered to eat any lunch by the pool and I'd slept through breakfast so I was more than ready to devour a Thai foodie feast!



As soon as I stepped out of the door I knew dinner was going to be a difficult decision to make. Do I go for the authentic street stalls, or find a busy Thai restaurant where the locals are eating?

As I'm travelling on my own I decided that sitting in a busy restaurant was a more favourable option for my first night. I spotted a colourful place banging out sexy reggae choones and thought: "Yep that looks like my kind of joint."

I went to sit down on my own and after a moment a a group of Thai's were beckoning me to come over and sit with them. There were two other Europeans sitting with them so I decided this would be more appealing than dining solo.



My new Thai friends were fascinated with my hair and did not believe I was from England, well until I explained my background was Jamaican. They loved that and started singing "no woman no cry" at the tops of their voices. I had to giggle. The Thai's ran a stall next door to the restaurant so they were actually 'working' whilst drinking in the bar/restaurant (nice work-life balance!)

I ordered a chicken and veg Thai green curry, but it was so good and I was so hungry that I wolfed it down before I thought about taking a photo for this post. It was blow-your-head-off spicy, but fresh and full of lots of flavour.

After my curry and a chat with my new companions (2 Frenchies and 4 Thai's) I decided to move on.



Ever since I got here I've been checking out the massages stalls and yearning for one, so tonight I decided it was time to try one out. For as little at 120 TBH (approx. £2.20) you can indulge in a half an hour foot massage. A Thai masseuse sits you down on very comfy deck chairs, washes your weary feet clean and then rub aromatic oils all over your legs and feet, it's pure heaven!
Before starting the massage the masseur says a brief prayer, which I think makes all the difference, as I've never had such a relaxing foot massage, especially considering the chaotic surroundings!!



Tomorrow I'm planning to go find the a Emerald Buddha, I think it's a little walk away, so I imagine I'll need to rejuvenate my tired feet again... Next time for a full hour though! :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad everything is going well. Your massage sounds good. I'm quite envious. Keep well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nanny :) having a wicked time and everyday feeling more and more confident about travelling alone. This place is an Aladdins cave! I want to buy so much, I'm contemplating getting another suitcase!

    ReplyDelete